wherein I come clean and mortally offend the vast majority of you ...

I used to start each day with Howard Stern. He's like Playboy - amazing articles. Seriously. Fully 50% of his content is too disgusting, offensive, idiotic and sophomoric to hold my attention. Then I do what he freely recommends and change the station. But, ah, the other 50%. Hoohaw. Some of the most brilliant interviews in existence. He has no boundaries so what he's able to pull from people is real, honest, bare and true. In those moments he's his best. Whether it's getting a Dixie Chick to talk about a three-some or Jim Carrey talking about his homelessness, it's compelling stuff.

That said, I had to make the choice to stop listening because I don't want Rio exposed to the language and subject matter. It's a valid mom point, but I do miss Howard. When she was down for a nap the other day I had the opportunity to listen to the show on satellite. We're one of the millions of households that have Sirius to have Howard. It was my Christmas gift last year. As an aside, I had a client back in CT who told me it was a ridiculous move on Sirius' part, Howard didn't have that kind of draw, lunatics and imbeciles don't buy satellite radio ... I really should have bought stock. There was zero question in my mind that Howard is a traveling tipping point. But I digress ...

Every couple of years Bear and I get sucked into Apprentice or Idol or Rockstar:INXS or something like that. Guilty pleasure television. Just burning through unused neurons and getting a little outside pseudo-reality based backup that I'm not the worst singer on earth and that I'm smarter than a LOT of 20-something MBA and JD grads .... :) So I was listening to Howard and he was talking about this and I had an aha moment. I could not understand how that lovely boy* has made it so far. I understand Idol putting him through sheerly/shearly for his hair ... but that's just tv. The voting public never ceases to amaze me and this was another instance of proof. Until I realized that Howard was in the mix. Love him or loathe him, you simply must respect his power. He's been instrumental in a number of political elections and it would seem he's tipping the scales of American Idol.

This ought to be the best season ever!

*In the google search to find the link, I scanned some boards, blogs and comments. People are saying it's mean to string this kid along and that Howard and VoteForTheWorst.com are messing with that kid. I say to take a step back and ask why he made it past hundreds of thousands of excellent voices and talents. IDOL packages the show and I'd bet it's to pretty exacting standards. They put this kid in the spotlight so let's remember their motives, as well. You had to know RandyChubbyDawg and SadChildhoodSimon would eat that kid alive. Paula can't even reach into her medicine storage locker to find something to make him palatable ... just some things to remember!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like Grandpa Simpson, I remember H Stern on NY's WNBC Radio. I can still quote some of his bits, including his Ghanian traffic helicopter reports. . . Mamadou something or other. He was new and exciting then. I think I stopped listening around the early '90's when I moved out of the NYC area. I watched him on TV a few times years ago, but the booby theme got old fast.