how come?

"How come?" has become central in my life these days.

"How come I'm not scared of giant pretend spiders?" I struggle to answer this but she's already on to the next.

"How come I have to make my bed if I'm going to get back in later today?" I suspect her father gave her this one. I plan to smack the shit out of him later.

"How come people were excited for Barack Obama and now everyone is complaining and complaining about him?"

"How come you gave me gum?"

***

Yeah, 'how come' is central these days,
and not just because I'm in the constant company of a 5 year-old. My 'how come' today is internal. I'm trying so so so hard NOT to think about something so how come it's what I think about 1,000 times a day?

2 comments:

Masked Mom said...

As a chronic overthinker, I can tell you for certain that trying not to think about something is just a different way of thinking about it. What I can't tell you is how come it's not easier to control your own brain.

Woo222 said...

She is SO smart it scares me. I'm so glad you're back, Nita. I missed you. I checked often. Tonight I decided to try to email you if there were no new posts..and here you are again. Yay. I don't know why your "How come" won't stop coming back. But I know I'm SO glad you're back. And I know that no matter what your "How come?" question is, you aren't alone. Please don't forget.
Rio and Bear's back and forth cracked me up. ~Susan